ST. THOMAS PUBLIC LIBRARY
has an opening for
Part-time Caretaker 1
Under the general direction of the Chief Librarian/CEO and the technical direction of the Caretaker 2, responsible for the overall cleaning, maintenance and security of the building.
Hours of Work:
18 – 20 hours per week including days, evenings and weekends
$19.17 – $23.94 hourly
Secondary school diploma, 2 years experience in public buildings, e.g., hospitals or schools, experience in cleaning and maintenance, the ability to work independently, and the ability to deal with the public with courtesy and tact. Must be bondable.
- Cleans the building, including but not limited to washrooms, kitchens, furniture, floors, windows, fixtures, waste containers and grounds.
- Assists with minor repairs, replaces light bulbs, restocks washroom supplies.
- Cuts grass, shovels snow and cares for flowers and plants.
- Sets up meeting rooms in accordance with room booking forms.
- Responsible for opening and closing the building, responsible for building security, in the absence of the Caretaker 2.
- Responsible for arming and disarming the security systems in the absence of the Caretaker 2.
- Provides assistance to staff and patrons regarding conduct and safety concerns.
- On call in the absence of the Caretaker 2.
- This position must take responsibility for personal health and safety insofar as he or she is able under The Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations. A worker must:
Work in compliance with the provisions of the Act, the regulations and City policies.
- Use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn.
- Report to his or her supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker.
- Report to his or her supervisor any contravention of the Act, the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
This position shall not:
- Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by regulations or by the City, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately.
- Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker.
- Engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Applications to be submitted to the CEO by 5 p.m. May 24, 2013.
Email to: email@example.com
Mail: St. Thomas Public Library, 153 Curtis Street, St. Thomas, ON N5P 3Z7
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.