What is “Culture Days”?
Launched in September 2010, Culture Days (www.culturedays.ca) is an annual event that features individual artists, diverse cultural groups, organizations, municipalities, and festivals old and new that come together to catalyze and inspire greater participation in arts and culture by featuring free, hands-on, interactive activities that invite the public to the behind-the-scenes world of artists, creators, historians.
Culture Days represents the largest-ever voluntary collective public participation campaign undertaken by the arts and cultural community in Canada.
The 5th Anniversary Culture Days weekend will take place in every province, simultaneously on September 26, 27 and 28, 2014 and is expected to see hundreds of communities of all sizes take part from coast to coast to coast.
Culture Days bridges the gap between Canada’s communities and citizens, highlighting the notion that culture is for everyone, regardless of age, geography, background or income.
Through thousands of free activities across the country, Culture Days promotes inclusivity, awareness, participation and engagement in arts and culture for all Canadians.
Culture Days aims to:
- Foster appreciation and support of the artistic and cultural life that is lived, created and expressed across the country in urban centers and rural communities alike.
- Promote direct interaction between creators and the public as a key to increasing understanding and appreciation for art and culture.
- Affirm that every citizen is the guardian of the cultural life of his or her community.
St. Thomas Public Library has 5 events and programs planned for the public – all free of charge. Some require registration, as space and supplies are limited. Please read carefully to know if you need to register before attending a program. (And register ASAP! We don’t want you to miss out!)
- Uke Can Learn an Instrument – Friday, September 26, 2014, 1-3 PM – Registration Required
- Taste the Wines of Lake Erie’s North Shores – Friday, September 26, 2014, 7-8:30 PM – Registration Required. Must be 19+
- Be Part of the Art – Saturday, September 27, 2014 – 9 AM – Noon or 1-4 PM – No registration required, Drop-in
- Flag Face Painting – Saturday, September 27,2014 – 10 AM – Noon or 2-4 PM – No registration required, Drop-in
- Yoga Workshop for Children – Saturday, September 27, 2014 2-3:30 PM – Registration Required. Ages 7-11 years
For a full description of each program and to register online, please visit our Culture Days Events Page.